Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 24: Badges?! We Don't Need No Stinking Badges!

My stomach felt better today; that's good. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow at 8:30am to figure out what's wrong. So I'm going in to work later on, around lunchtime to finish of the day. ...So yeah, looking forward to that...

I lost my badge this morning, and was a little late to clock in. I never found the badge, unfortunately, and now it's really starting to bug me. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to find it, or even where it would be. I probably dropped it on my way home yesterday and I'll never see it again. Woe is me! ...So I got a temporary ID and felt pretty dumb about it all day.

I walked by something that made me laugh today. There was an area probably 20 feet by 30 feet taped off with Danger tape, that had signs posted reading, "Do Not Enter, Level 4 Protocol." It just happened to be in the middle of the FAB, completely surrounded by the Level 3 area. To me, it didn't look much different than anywhere else in the clean room--definitely not any cleaner. But they were installing vents in the ceiling grids or something, so that being Level 4 work, I guess it made sense to label it Level 4. I just imagined those areas being separated from everything else, so as to create a cleaner environment, but there isn't much of a difference now.

Speaking of Level 4, there's a new gowning room on the opposite side of the FAB, where we can all gown up in the full "bunny" suits pretty soon. It's cool cause there are large heavy strips of plastic that hang down and overlap, and you have to push them out of the way to get through the doors. Brad and I just walk right through them though, without even moving them out of the way first. Brad does it cause he's Magneto, and I do it cause it's like the Terminator. We're nerds, but what can I say? Work gets boring sometimes...if you don't pretend you're Magneto, you start to lose your mind...

I worked all day with Daniel and Derek, wiz nutting. When I was spotting, I was falling asleep on my feet, but when I was actually wiz nutting, I had like, no energy and felt like crap. That was until the first break though. After the break I felt better and more awake. I had no problem with staying awake while I was working or spotting, and it went by much smoother.

Brad worked with Alfredo all day, punching holes in the complete opposite end of the FAB. I couldn't even really hear the hole-punch, that's how far away they were. He worked with Fernando and Geneva, who pushed him around while he and Alfredo punched holes. We're getting pretty close to having all the grids we've hung levelled, wiz nutted, and caulked, and we're hanging more grid soon too. Although we have an incredible amount of grid in the ceiling, Lawrence claims that we still have 2/3 of the grid still to hang. That just sounds crazy to me, since I swear that there isn't that much more room left to expand into. Now we have a nice square clean room, but we've still got areas surrounding the whole FAB that will eventually be moved into and turned into the clean room as well as the portions we already have.

I'm not quite sure what Skye and Griffin did today. I never work with them any longer, so I never have much of an idea of their activities on a day to day basis. They usually both work at the pass-thrus, but occasionally are in the clean room, and they've been split up to work at different pass-thrus before. I'm sad, though, since tomorrow's Griffin's last day. I'm sad to see him go, cause we've gotten to be better friends while working at Brycon. I never really knew him that well during high school, even though we were on a friendly basis. I'm definitely glad he decided to join us at work though.

Brad brought his iPod today to watch Nacho Libre during the breaks, and he and Griffin watched it while they ate. I was jealous, and kinda disappointed, since Brad said he brought it for me to watch during break, and I never actually got to see it. Oh well, no biggie.


After we finished the wiz nuts at about 2pm, Derek and I pushed Daniel around while he speed-caulked. That's what I like to call it. Instead of wheeling him to a spot and he caulks it, then we move him again, we just keep wheeling him, he stays in one spot on the scaffolding and it's one continuous line of caulking. It moves a lot faster, despite quick pauses to get past the wires and grid intersections.

So about halfway through the third shift, Lawrence gave me and Brad walkie-talkies. I asked him what for and he just shrugged his shoulders and chuckled, saying, "I dunno...communication?" I was like, duh... Anyway, Brad's walkie-talkie was in the mode where it just stays on all the time, so I could hear his conversations with Fernando and Geneva while they were putting hardware together all the way accross the FAB. It was fun to watch them and hear their conversation from so far away. It was kinda weird to watch, but it kept me entertained for a while. Then I went and fixed it, and talked to Brad about stuff, including how we needed to clean off the scaffolding we used yesterday, cause we ran out of time during cleanup yesterday.

Pedro farted today in the gowning room and Jayson raced out, gasping for air, closely followed by Pedro, who obviously didn't want to be in the company of his own bodily gases. Everyone's noses were curling and they had disgusted looks on their faces. Sometimes I'm grateful that I've got a cold...couldn't smell a thing. Another time I saw Pedro lying, spread-eagle, on the tile floor, next to the weird circle laser thingy. He's a crazy guy...a little messed up in the head, methinks.

So I was minding my own business and Lawrence asked me to come over and take a look at something Brad and I did yesterday. Apparently, we had accidentally installed a block on the I-beam exactly one foot to the left of where it was supposed to be. At first I admit that I thought it was Fernando's fault, because he was the one who set the laser, and we drill the holes where he puts the laser. That just didn't make sense though...why would he set the laser in some random spot? Anyway, I remembered a time when I thought Brad was drilling in the wrong spot, but the dot that I thought was the one he'd made just turned out to be a spot of dirt. So I figured that he had messed up the dots and drilled it a little further down than he was supposed to. It was weird. Neither he, nor I, quite understood what happened. Lawrence chuckled and said it was just something funny to laugh about later. I hoped that the extra dots wouldn't ruin the integrity of the beam, but he assured me that the I-beams would look like swiss cheese by the end of the project, with all the holes they needed to drill for all the components and stuff. Unusually enough, it didn't reassure me as it should have. There's just something about holy steel that doesn't comfort me.

Anyway, work was surprisingly pleasant today, despite my self-diagnosed 5am depression. I get up in the morning and feel like I'm going to die of waking up so early. I doubt that I can even function, let alone work for the next 10 hours. It really sucks, but work is never as bad as it seems when I wake up--which is good...


Quote of the Day:

Grant: "Lawrence, Alfredo almost ruined everything, but I stopped him and saved the day!"
Lawrence: "It happens..."

No comments: