Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Day 23: A Nice Pile-drive to the Ceiling, or A Nice Punch to the Ceiling!

Today I felt sick to my stomach again. I think that ulcer is getting better...I mean, worse. Better in the way of ulcers, in that it's maturing, which isn't good. Worse in that it's bad for me, cause it hurts all the time. I am constantly shoving Tums down my throat...which I can't imagine is very good either. The whole situation is one giant mess.

Bugger....


Anyway, seeing as there are only four of us working together at Brycon these days, there seems to be less and less to write about. In a nutshell, Griffin and Skye worked pass-thru for a while, until Skye got pulled to work with Ron. Brad and I worked together on the scaffolding, punching holes in the ceiling (I-beams) all day long.

This morning, Skye and I were a minute late (6:06am) and he was annoyed to be late for a second day in a row. Things aren't looking good for little old me if I make him late again. In short, I'll make this short, so I can get to bed earlier tonight.

There wasn't much word from Griffin or Skye as to the goings-on in their areas, so there's not anything to say about them, except what has already been said--that Skye was pulled to work with Ron at a different pass-thru.

Brad and I were put on the hole-punching crew, to finish off some areas on the perimeter of the raised tile floor (RTF). Fernando and Geneva pushed us around the whole day, and despite our somewhat slow work--this being Brad's first day on the hole-punching crew, and it being my first day without someone else who did the majority of the actual punching--Fernando made the day move so much slower, and we didn't get a large number of the blocks installed. We tried to get Fernando's attention time after time and he was zoned out. He would just stand there while Brad and I were like, "Fernando.........Fernando..........Fernando!" It was amusing until it got to be a hindrance on our progress. Once we finally got him moving us, we'd reach the spot where we needed to stop and we'd do the same exact thing to get him to quit pushing us: "Stop...Stop....Stop....Stop! STOP!" Again...funny for a while.

I was proud of us, when the layout of the markings called for an offsetted hole on the block, and we installed one correctly (after offsetting the holes we punched by an inch to compensate for the difference in the measurements). Lawrence walked up and showed some concern about us offsetting, as if we didn't know what we were doing--which didn't help, as we weren't completely sure we had done it correctly--and when Fernando double checked it with the laser, and it lined up perfect, I couldn't help but smile. Brad and I aren't dumb...hello.

We told Lawrence that we were quitting next Friday, and he said he understood, since he's been telling us almost every day, to get an education. The problem, however, is now he'll be short two men, and he needs to get more and train them to be as dominant as Brad and I have become. Apparently he talked to Steve and requested two more guys to add to the crew A.S.A.P. This concerned me somewhat, as rumor holds that he once got so angry at one employee who turned in his 5-day notice for a resignation, he fired them on the spot. Not something I'd consider good, even though I don't know how much longer I can stand this...

Brad and I had a delightful time working up on the scaffolding, and I was never really tired. Usually I'll be dozing off or something absurd like that, but today was nice cause I stayed awake completely.

We had Level 4/5 Protocol Training today at 2pm, in the orientation room. This was to review the protocol for the clean room again, and teach us how to gown up in the full "bunny" suits. It was pretty exciting, and the guy who spoke to us, when he put his hood on, looked like a middle-eastern woman, hiding his face. I had to wake Griffin up and show him, it was that amusing. We're excited to gown up in the "bunny" suits, but we're not exactly sure if we'll be able to before we quit. I asked Lawrence if he'd let us once before we left, and he laughed and asked us if we wanted to bring a camera too. He was joking of course, seeing as we'd get fired on the spot, and probably in some legal trouble.

Anyway, today was pretty fun. It went by pretty smoothly, and we enjoyed it a lot. I'm somewhat excited for tomorrow, however, waking up at 5am is not my favorite.


Quote of the Day:

Brad: "If Fernando were a dinosaur--"
Grant: "--He'd be extinct..."

No comments: