Thursday, July 13, 2006

Day 13: No Brad, No Fun

I didn't do much talking today. That's because Brad was gone to Flaming Gorge, and I worked with Jaime. I mean, I talked a fair amount, but nothing compared to when Brad's there to chat with and sing about idiots like Colby with.

Jaime, despite being sorta lazy and not a very hard worker, worked pretty well. He never complained about anything; just silently did whatever I said--being the one who's done this job for the last week--and worked at it all day. I jumped around a lot between grids and gasketing, cause once again the gasketeers don't know how to work in order. They just randomely gasket any old grid and then Lawrence needs grid 247 and not only is it in some remote corner of the FAB, but it's also devoid of any gasket whatsoever. It's quite frusterating when I'm the one who has to listen to Lawrence complaining about it all day. But it is a nice relief from his normal topic--advice about how to not screw up my life (which always consists of telling me to go to college and get an education, altough I assure him every time that I intend to do just that).

I felt bad for Jaime when he walked off to help bring a grid over for the ceiling and Lawrence started to talk about how he was going nowhere and he wasn't going to last long on the job. Apparently he's pretty lazy, gets to work late all the time, and just has this "aura about him" that gives the impression that he'll never go anywhere in life, according to Lawrence. I can see it now, but I really didn't even look for it. I didn't work with him for very long, and he's a nice guy...so I had no disposition to ever think ill of him. Lawrence, on the other hand, is paid to spot people who don't work as hard as they should and make them. I did begin to notice, once i started to jump in and gasket, that Jaime just stood there and watched. I wondered to myself if he knew how, but how hard could it be? I taught myself.

With Brad gone, I was driving myself crazy with want of somebody to talk to and commiserate with, but alas, there was nobody. I found myself working like Brad rather than myself. I mean that Brad's just go go go, nonstop. He'll always be saying "let's go over here and make more hardware" or "we need to roll this grid over now, so run over there." It's not that I don't like to work, it's just that he's more hop-to than I am usually. I dunno if I was more efficient today than before, but I found myself saying what Brad would say all day, and keeping myself busy when I could have just stood around like Jaime. He got away with it, and if I played it right, then I could have gotten away with it too. But then again, I guess I had to step up cause if I didn't take Brad's place, then we would have done nothing all day, or been yelled at by Lawrence...one or the other. Lawrence wanted to hang like, 18 grids today, but we only got off with about 15 or so. He was annoyed with it because he really wants to hang 20 a day. We blamed it on the gasketeers, and rightfully so. Alex definitely doesn't keep them on a tight leash.

Jeff was working on gasketing again today, but he needed to move due to his back. I guess he has problems hunching over all day--not like nobody else wouldn't have them, but he's got extra problems or something. Anyway, he disappeared after a while and when I went to gasket one of the other guys was like "one guy was here, but he said he had back problems, so Alex replaced him with this guy." It was Christian, and he sucked at gasketing; it was actually turned sideways at one point.

Griffin and Quinn worked with Cowboy taping the new area or something. I think they were putting up new walls for the new section of the FAB or something. I didn't inquire into it very far, and all they said was that they were taping walls--which usually means a new section is nearly cleaned and ready to be opened up. It's exciting cause our clean room is about to get 33% bigger.

Brady and Skye worked at the pass-thru again today. They were just cleaning stuff and transporting it again. Same as it ever was. At lunch today Brady greeted me with some crazy random word, which he claimed to be the Navajo word for "hello," although I'm sure it meant something like "I'm a dufus." If I spoke Navajo (or any foreign language) and Brady asked me how to say "hello" I would definitely tell him something that we could use to laugh at him (me and my Navajo buddies, that is). I guess I shouldn't discriminate against Brady, but it'd just be funny to watch him, cause if you know Brady, then you know he gets way excited about foreign languages, and he'll overuse his new words.

After Lawrence got done complaining about how slow the gasketeers were, near the end of the day, he sent me and Jaime to find some tape and scissors to lay out the grid on the floor. Like I mentioned before, the ceiling is lined with holes 8 feet apart in every distance (except diagonally). Well, I said that there's tape on the floor lining out the grid, whereon the exact measurement is eventually made, followed by a laser which projects onto the I-Beam and recorded. So Jaime and I spent about a half hour scouring the newly assembled tiles in the recently opened area a mere three weeks old.

Following that we rearranged the grids for tomorrow--none of them had been gasketed completely or even close to halfway--and perhaps Lawrence will reach his goal tomorrow. But I doubt it, as both Brand and I will be gone from the ceiling crew, and Quinn's going to be gone also, so there are less people to pull from other areas. Tomorrow Quinn and I will be registering for the University of Utah Fall 2006 Semester. We're extremely excited to go to college and we're staying the night in our new apartment, which is also way fun. We've started to move stuff into it, but there is basically no food to begin with. There's hardly any furniture besides a card table we're bringing up tonight and like, five chairs.

Aside from working kinda slow and quietly today, it was pleasant. I had a fair amount of energy in the morning, although after 9am break I started to get really tired. For the most part I was attentive and didn't feel like crap--which is always a plus when working construction.

I can't wait for tomorrow. Two good things: No work, and finally picking a schedule. I'm gonna officially be a college student.


Quote of the Day:


No comments: