Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Day 12: Sing Like You're In A Musical Day...Kinda....

We found out today that Whitlie and Reagan showed up and applied for the job, but were turned away. Brycon's excuse was that they weren't looking for any more workers that would be leaving at the end of the summer. It's a perfectly good reason, but we all think that there were other reasons. Whitlie and Reagan are, of course, girls--good looking girls--and we think they might be distractors to the other workers. Sad as that is, Brady made a good point when he mentioned it. I still think that Brycon was perfectly honest, and it's acceptable that they had a good reason, but it just sucks that they can't work here...for us, at least.

This morning I could not wake up. No matter how hard I tried, no matter what I tried (cold water, walking around in circles, caffeine, working, etc.) I couldn't keep my eyes open. I would get these bouts of extreme sleepiness, followed by a somewhat alert and awakened state, but only for a slight period of time. Brad seemed tired too, and verified it. We were tired.

Quinn, Griffin, and Jeff spent the whole 10 hours gasketing again...boring. I feel bad for them, but not really, seeing as Brad and I were so tired and bored with our job. I would have given anything to gasket today. Brady and Skye also continued to work in the same area as before, cleaning and passing materials through into the clean room. Another job I would have probably enjoyed more than my own today.

Anyway, Brad and I actually spotted the hole-punching crew until lunch (and after break, worked on the grid hardware in between moving the scaffolding to a new area). It was pretty boring, and loud, so we had to wear ear protection, which limited conversation, thus resulting in an ever-increasing blanket of drowsiness invading our bodies. The little booties that we were wearing were horrible on the tile floor. We couldn't get a firm grip on the ground and slid all over, rather than push the scaffold anywhere--this was also due to the massive amount of weight on the scaffold (Alberto, Cecilio, the air compressor, hole-punch, and other tools).

On the way to lunch, we had an argument with Quinn about listening to music. It's frowned upon while working...actually, if I remember correctly, they prohibit MP3 players. Quinn didn't care...he'd prefer to get fired, and it makes work go faster. Haha. Well, he got away with it, apparently in front of "Supernintendo" Steve (our Superintendant).

At lunch, Thomas (Renae Cowboy's husband) threw his garbage into one of the cans from like 20 feet away and totally nailed the shot. We just happened to be looking over there at the time and when he made it we were all like "OOOOOOOH!" and saluted him with a follow-through hand signal thingy. It was funny, but I don't think he heard us. He did it again, but only Brady was looking.

After lunch it was back to full-time grids for me and Brad. The only good thing was that the gasketeers were actually finishing them up relatively quickly, and wheeling them over in order and stuff--so Brad and I only had to install the hardware and roll them up to the forklifts. It made the job run so much smoother, and Brad and I weren't sweating profusely for the first time in a week. We were grateful, but I think that goes without saying.

Brad and I had an argument about who said "I keep my friends close, and my enemies closer." He said Albert Einstein said it, but I just didn't think it was something Einstein would say. Maybe he did say it, the point is, Brad had a dumb argument, which was Einstein was involved in politics...which I am kinda doubtful of, he being a scientist and mostly predisposed with questions of life and the "equation to everything." Anyway, I still haven't verified that he said it...and conversely, I haven't raised a countersubject or proven him/her any more likely to have said it either.

For the last hour and a half Brad and I amused ourselves with singing songs to the tunes of Les Misérables songs, Goofy Movie songs, Phantom of the Opera songs, and "Heigh-Ho" from Snow White. Most of them were either about how Colby is and idiot, or how Ron is the coolest guy we know, or how Brad is gonna take a dook in Flaming Gorge. Haha...wow, they were clever.

"Colby's A Ho"
Sung to the tune of "Heigh-Ho" from the Disney classic, Snow White

He's a Ho, He's a Ho
And it's not to work he'll go
Cause he got terminated and he's an idiot
And a ho....a ho.....a ho....a ho......

(repeat)

Um, there were others, but they were random and really we only sang them once. We also fantasized about Jaime rapping and Cowboy backing him up "Bas-sic-cally" style. Speaking of Cowboy...we decided that if he wears Abercrombie & Fitch and American Eagle shirts and pants to work construction, then his nice clothes must be incredibly amazing and expensive. What a funny guy.

Anyway, so to sum it all up, we're bummed that Reagan and Whitlie can't work, but it's probably for the best. And Brad and I are going out of our minds, fantasizing about Jaime rapping and Brad taking a dook in Flaming Gorge.


Quote of the Day:

Grant: "Brad, the Atomic Bomb wasn't a political project, it was scientific."
Brad: "Yes it was. It was scientifical and political"

No comments: