Monday, July 10, 2006

Day 11: The Boringest Day

Today was slow, at least in the morning. I must have had a crappy night, becuase I was dead tired all day. It wasn't much yawning, just no energy. I remember waking up three or four times in the middle of the night, which I believe contributed to the lack of drive I had to work. Brad and I worked on the grids, installing hardware, again.

It wasn't that we didn't get much done; I mean, we hung 16 grids...a new record for us. Plus, we had the weekly safety meeting this morning, which probably put us back to starting work at like 7:45, at the earliest. I just had no desire to work--let alone live, because of the horrible headache and stomachache that I had from no sleep--and I felt horrible about it, cause Brad was trying so hard to get me to focus and work. He kept saying, "Grant! Let's go buddy...you're taking forever." Oh well...so much for that.

We did get a lot done though, so I don't really think anybody had much license to complain about my crappy performance today. Thanks to Brad, we got more than usual done.

The safety meeting this morning was a joke. No donuts. No juice. No coffee--not that I would actually drink coffee...but it pissed off a bunch of other guys who would drink it. When the head Hoffman guy apologized for the lack of refreshments, I heard one guy "Boo" him. I laughed, cause even though I would never have the gall to do that--at least in a silent room--that's exactly how I felt.

Besides moving grids, there wasn't much going on today. A pretty boring series of events--if you can even call them events. Jeff, Griffin, and Quinn worked on gasketing today, along with the other 500 people. Holy crap! I kept having these familiar recollections of something every time I saw them all hunched over between the rows of the grids. It wasn't until I actually helped at the end of the day, that I realized it. They looked like the African plantation slaves you always see in historical movies and stuff. It was pretty creepy.

Brady, Jaime, and Skye all worked at the pass-thrus, cleaning and sending grates into the new section of the clean room. They've been working on starting a new section...covering the holes and crap.

Brad and I were talking to Ron today and we found out that Colby got fired. Hooray Fired! We were excited, cause he's an idiot. Always swearing and never working. Sometimes he'd work, but when he was with his buddies, they'd slack. Plus, he apparently hardly ever showed up--something I started to notice in hopes that he had been fired. Ron said he had shown up for a few hours on Saturday and then he was gone, and wasn't there today either. Although I'm not completely sure that he really is fired, I really hope so. Ron seemed pretty certain about it, so whatever.

Anyway, so our day was pretty uneventful. Nothing really exciting happened. Nobody died. Nobody joined the crew. I guess the most exciting thing was when Lawrence gave Brad advice on how to not screw up his life. Lawrence has done a lot of things he's regretted, and every day he thinks about them. Poor guy. I really like Lawrence. He's a really sincere guy, who always is looking to help you out. Never wants you to do something you'd regret...like working in construction. Ha Ha...


Quote of the Day:

"You're wearing your Kevlar underwear, right?"
-Quinn

No comments: