Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Day 33: Stringer Smuggling

Today was just another day at the pass-through. The girl that used to be a yellow-hat, Jennifer, was promptly switched to gasketing. That, along with the fact that she is married, ruined Josefina’s previous guess that she and I would start going out. Not to worry, because today we were given yet another tyro named Alicia. She speaks Spanish AND English, so she could be very useful in the future. We put in tile and lined the entire south wall until we literally couldn’t fit any more pallets. But Jason said he wanted lots of tile, so that’s what he’s going to get.

We had our multi-company safety meeting this morning, always a great opportunity to take a nap or have a light breakfast. I opted for food and was rewarded when the head safety guy explained some bizarre injuries and had a great one-liner that would probably make Mr. Birrell shudder – see quote of the day. I still think it would be more advantageous for IMFT to have the safety people and the superintendents attend the meeting, but I won’t complain because meetings provide an interesting diversion to the work week.

It’s time for the Josefina moment of the day. We were having several people wipe down stringers, and someone suggested that I take the stringers that Josefina had cleaned and transfer them to the same cart. I knew this was a bad or at least fruitless idea, but finally consented. In broken Spanish, I asked if we should move the stringers to the cart. She shook her head and spouted off Spanish until I left her alone. However the other person (sorry, I’m not trying to be enigmatic, I just can’t remember her name) would not give up. Christian suggested that I just take them. The wheels started turning in my head – that doesn’t happen to often – and I decided to use the immature route and promptly shouted “Mira!” and pointed. As Josefina quizzically turned to where my finger was pointing I tried to slink away with some of her stringers. I was caught red-handed, before I could safely smuggle the stringers away. After this incident, the trust that had grown between us was broken. She refused to talk or even look at me. However, my irresistible charm soon caused her to forget the incident and things were back to normal.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone realizes the irony when I try and translate what Jesus is saying to Christian. Anyone catching the irony? Anyone? Well, I can’t wait for yet another day working with the pass-through crew.


Quote of the Day:

"I think Captain John Smith used that rope to tie off the Mayflower in 1462”

-Head Safety Guy

No comments: