Thursday, August 03, 2006

Day 29: For Grid's Sake

Today moved so slowly today that I thought I would die. Lawrence asked us to move grids around and position them in spots where they would eventually be hung in the ceiling. There was a section in the newer area, where some of the grids on the outer edge by where the RTF edge ended. We placed about 8 over there for Lawrence to hang after he finished punching holes in the newest area of the RTF.

That took us until the first break, and we quickly left to eat. I was really hungry and tired. None of us could stay awake--not even Daniel, who usually is full of energy and ready to make us work quickly. He didn't really push us this morning, so it felt like the three of us just wandered around. Brad and I were so tired.


After we moved the grids over, we needed to add hardware, so Brad and I did that pretty quickly, and passed the time by laughing about the funny things that Fernando says. One time Lawrence was telling Derek, Brad, and Fernando about how hard it was for him when his father died a few years ago. Suddenly Fernando said to Lawrence, "That's okay, Lawrence, we like you anyway." Brad and Derek just laughed because it was so random--as if they wouldn't like Lawrence cause his dad died. Another time we were talking about something the Chinese do, and Brad said, "Yeah, the Chinese are whacked." Fernando said, "But they love you anyway." Same thing...we just started to laugh. Brad and I spent a while mimicking the way Fernando says things--he has a nasaly voice that's just really funny. He's a great guy though.

We also spent time laughing about Daniel, who really talks to me and Brad like we're idiots sometimes. It's just funny how he thinks he knows the best way to do anything. So Brad and I would keep being like, "Hey, you know what I've found works best for this?" whenever one of us was doing some sort of task. It was pretty funny, even when we did it to Daniel...he never really caught on to it.

So during the second shift we just kept moving grids. We focused on moving the grids that were in the way of the Wasatch Electric guys, who were pulling up tiles from the floor and installing wires and components underneath the RTF. That took a while and obviously the time flew...not.

At lunch I tried to enjoy myself as much as possible with relaxing. Brad and I debated about politics for a while. It was fun. We take different stands on issues and I never knew the way he felt about a lot of world matters. I dunno, it's hard for me to accept what other people say, when it feels so wrong to me. I like to listen, but a part of me--the part that is like my dad--wants to just shut them out cause I know they're wrong and I don't need to listen to them. The fact that Brad's my friend and that his counter arguments make more sense than other peoples is good. It makes me consider things from a different point of view.

After lunch we moved more grid...hooray. We moved the smaller grids that weighed a lot less...hooray. They were the ones that fit between the existing grid ceiling and the walls at the northern(?) end of the FAB. We're getting close to finishing areas of the ceiling for good. That's pretty cool, since we've been working on it for about a month, and there's no end in sight, despite how much work we've gotten done.

We basically spent the rest of the day moving grids. We probably moved grids over 50 times today. Probably well over 50...

The three of us were trying to get Cowboy to say "basically" today, since Quinn loved it so much, and we'd always say it like Cowboy. I've never heard it before, so for the last three hours of the day we'd be asking him questions like "What's the basic protocol for ordering grids from the grids outside?" or "Basically, how does this basically work...like the basics?" He never ever said basically. I finally got fed up with it and asked him to say basically, and I had to explain why. But it was so worth it! Hahahaha. He was really self-conscious about it after that, and we kept joking around about it with him all the rest of the day. He was basic-cally so embarassed. He was a good sport about it though and after that we couldn't stop saying "basi-cally."

Today was basic-cally alright....bas-ically.


Quote of the Day:

Cowboy: "So Brad says you've got a fantasy."
Grant: "A what?"
Cowboy: "A fantasy...you know, a tape fantasy. You've got to tape everything."
Grant: "Oh...well yeah."

No comments: