Monday, August 07, 2006

Day 32: The Lone Survivor

There’s a new sheriff in town, and his name is Skye Larsen. Due to the fact that Grant is a Dick (read post on Day 4 if you’re alarmed by my seemingly garish language) and Brad is a…Brad, I am now the lone survivor at Brycon Inc. It is now my solemn duty to inform the reader on the goings-on in the clean room. The pass-through is the most underrated part of the clean room. While Grant er…Richard’s attempts at explaining the relevance of the pass-through have been noble, they sadly do not make the cut. Basically, without the pass-through there would be no FAB. There would be no materials to work with. There would be no designated trilingual areas. Basically, life at Brycon would be at a standstill. With that mild rant out of the way, I feel like you will better understand the undeniable, indubitable, irrefutable importance of my job.

Today, we really didn’t do anything at the pass-through. Our seeming significance was even further hindered by the fact that the main item we shipped into the clean room, perf tiles, continued to stack up against the side of the wall – unused. The day was not all at a loss, however.

First we’ll start with Josefina. Doubtless, the reader has heard of this incredible persona. However, words – or should I say, palabras – will never fully describe this strong-willed, Spanish-speaking lady. With that in mind, here is my paragraph on Josefina, Day 32. The funniest part of Josefina is her ability to surprise me at any given time on any given day. The Josefina moment of the day (which probably should have been included with “quote of the day” and “trash talk of the day”) occurred thusly. I was minding my own business, stacking tile after tile, and I hear the following europop-style repetition of Josephina, “rapido…..rapido…..rapido.” I turn around and Josephina is doing a little jig. I would elaborate, but I can neither express my thoughts on this matter, nor find a need to do so. She has become even stranger – and more hilarious – with the addition of Jesus (pronounced Hay-Seuss, in case you were wondering). They now talk to each other in rapid Spanish and will occasionally mention me and start laughing. I’m glad I obviously bring a lot of joy to their lives.

So much to talk about. Hmmm. Well, to cover up the somewhat important and boring things that happened, I was yet again left alone and consequently in charge of the pass-through, which is both stimulating and challenging. Jesus was the only one outside the pass-through, and something needed to be sent to the cut shop, so I told Jesus to come follow me (sorry, couldn’t resist). It turned out that the cut shop had disappeared – later I found out it was moved – and my shame was intensified because I couldn’t even explain to the unilingual old man that the cut shop had simply evanesced without anyone telling me anything about it. Oh, and the rest of the day we moved tile.

The final event of the laborious day will require a little background. There is another company at IMFT who wear yellow hard hats. Even more curious then their flowery helmet choice is their job (all they seem to do is sweep the floor and take out apparently random trash bags) and the conflux of fairly hot chicas that work for them. Brady was the first of us to note their existence, but their impact in the building is now unquestionable. Every man’s head turns at least a little as they walk by. Anyways, in a strange twist of events, it seems that one of the yellow hats has turned traitor and joined Brycon. Not only that, she works in the pass-through. Thus it was my grave responsibility to show her around and talk to her about Brycon. After a long conversation about how to wipe things finished I turned around to find Josefina and Jesus giggling…AGAIN. She hinted that she had figured out who the girlfriend I had been talking about earlier was. She assumes much, and assumes wrongly.

Anyway, this has been a long post, so I apologize but hope you have been entertained and, much more importantly, informed on the proceedings at Brycon. I can’t wait for Tuesday!!!


Quote of the Day:

(in a hushed voice) “Skye, watch out, Jesus is watching you.”
-Thomas

No comments: